The following text has been copied from a Facebook post on my personal profile that has now been set to private. It is part of a series of posts providing details about the first part of my daughter’s fight with Transverse Myelitis.
We are bored out of our minds here in the hospital today. Playing the waiting game is pretty agonizing at this point seeing as to how we have been in the hospital for 49 days now. There is only so much walking around the hospital, watching TV, or playing games you can do.
Hopefully we will hear something tomorrow about where we will be going for inpatient rehab. I spoke with our BCBS case worker yesterday and she helped to explain what we should expect. She said our policy doesn’t cover transport to a facility out of state, but it would cover the facility itself as long as it is in network. This means we would be responsible for providing our own air transport. We asked if we could take her ourselves by car or by ambulance, but because of the distance we can’t do that. It would be considered outpatient at that point.
Our case worker also told us that if a bed wasn’t open at KKI before the end of this week, we would not be able to go there inpatient. At this point, she does not have a medical need to be in the hospital, so we would be responsible for paying for our hospital stay while waiting on a bed at KKI to open (which is expected to be mid-December). However, once KKI found out that Annadelle is not breathing assisted with the use of a vent or a trach, they said it may be possible to squeeze her in sooner. We expected an answer on that Friday but since we didn’t, we are waiting to hear back from them on Monday.
If for some reason KKI doesn’t accept us or if they won’t have a bed open this week, we will be transferred to Children’s of Birmingham for inpatient rehab. COB did not have a bed on Friday and were on full diversion, but a new friend of mine at COB with her daughter told me this morning she knows of beds that may have opened over the weekend.
We’re praying the Lord leads us to where we need to be for the best possible recovery for our sweet girl. Thank you to everyone for all of the prayers and support along our journey. Please continue to keep those prayers coming!