September 29, 2018

The following text has been copied from a Facebook post on my personal profile that has now been set to private. It is part of a series of posts providing details about the first part of my daughter’s fight against Transverse Myelitis.

Thursday when we picked Annadelle up from school, she was in a daze. She wasn’t concentrating on the conversation at all. She also did not eat anything out of her lunch box, which was weird because she normally gets in the car and demolishes whatever she had left over from lunch and snack time.

When we got home, she laid down on the couch to watch TV. About an hour later, she was very hot and running a fever. She had chills and was complaining of a headache. We gave her Tylenol twice that night, but her fever never went down. She wouldn’t eat anything for dinner but we managed to get her to drink some water.

Friday morning I took her to American Family Care. While we were in the waiting room, she whined and cried constantly. She couldn’t keep still or get comfortable at all, but of course that changed once we got back to see the doctor. She was acting fine for a bit while we saw him. He had her swabbed for strep, but it was negative. He sent us home with Azithromycin.

Throughout Friday night she progressively got worse. She was complaining of back pain, neck pain, and a headache. She still had chills and a recurring fever. Rotating Tylenol and Motrin didn’t help much. She ate about 10 bites of soup with me feeding it to her, but wouldn’t eat much else. It was a long night for us as we were up continuously with her.

We decided since it had been over 24 hours with no relief from fever or pain, and her symptoms steadily getting worse, that we would visit a different urgent care. When we arrived, she was extremely sweaty as we got out of the car. The fever had finally broken, and her temp measured 98.4. The doctor believed she may have a UTI, but a urine test was negative. While we were with the doctor, she developed an odd rash that disappeared within a few minutes, then reappeared elsewhere and vanished again. Her fever spiked again and the doctor was clueless as to what could be wrong, so she sent us to the ER to have blood work done.

We traveled to the ER with all the symptoms I had mentioned- headache, inability to concentrate, fever, recurring rash, severe back and neck pain, etc. The doctor said, “I know you are probably suspecting meningitis, so we will do some blood work.” They did so, but lab results only showed an elevated blood count, what the doctor explained was indicative of a viral infection. He said we would just have to wait it out, give her plenty of fluids, but that he would prescribe her a different antibiotic in the event it was meningitis that had gone undetected.

So, long story short, she has some type of infection. As a mother, it is heartbreaking to me to see my child in worsening pain and not being able to do much about it. We have tried everything to comfort her and bring her fever back down, but our efforts have not yet proven successful.

If you wouldn’t mind saying a prayer for my sweet baby girl, I would appreciate it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.